1 ½ cups plain flour
100 grams butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons cornflour
500 grams Orange Candy Melon
1. Turn oven on to 180 °C.
2. To make the base rub the butter into the flour and sugar, add the egg and about one tablespoon of water and knead the dough until firm. Refrigerate for one hour.
3. Meanwhile, line the base and sides of a 20cm greased and floured tart tin (preferably one with a removable base).
4. Roll out the pastry on to a cool surface and then carefully position the pastry into the tart tin. If the pastry cracks patch it with spare pastry and a little water. Cut off the excess pastry around the edges of the tart tin.
5. Cover the pastry with greaseproof paper, add baking beans or rice and bake blind in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven then leave to cool.
6. To make the pastry cream filling, bring the milk and vanilla essence to the boil gently and then remove from the heat.
7. In a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks, flour, cornflour and sugar and mix in the hot milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan and gently bring it back to the boil whilst continuing to stir. When it reaches boiling point it will start to thicken. Continue to cook whilst stirring for a further minute until the filling is thick and smooth.
8. Transfer the filling to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to cool in the refrigerator.
9.Once the custard is cool, beat it again, spoon into the tart base and assemble the sliced Orange Candy Melon on top.
Serve with fresh cream.